Job Title: Remote Communications Intern
Reports to: Senior Manager of Communications
About Horizons Foundation
Horizons Foundation fuels the LGBTQ movement by increasing philanthropic support for diverse San Francisco Bay Area nonprofits; strengthening organizations and their leaders; mobilizing donors and funders to inspire giving; and securing the LGBTQ community’s future for generations to come through endowment and planned giving. Founded in 1980, Horizons was the world’s first community foundation focused on LGBTQ issues.
The Communications Intern plays a critical role in advancing key communications projects for the foundation. With guidance from the Senior Manager of Communications, the intern will spearhead various writing and web projects with the goal of growing awareness among and building our network of donors and partners – and ultimately building a future where LGBTQ people thrive. This internship is a good fit for someone who excels at writing and is interested in writing for social change, but who also has a good eye for design and understand what works well on the web.
College students, recent grads, and grad students are encouraged to apply. The internship will last 10 weeks, starting June 3 (with some flexibility).
This position is a remote position open to people living in the United States. The intern will communicate regularly via email, phone, and video call. The intern must own a laptop on which to perform the duties of this internship.
- Research and write stories about our grantee partners and donors, turning them into compelling pieces of content for our blog, e-newsletter, and other communications
- Translate our new research report, which documents the needs of LGBTQ people in the San Francisco Bay Area, into digestible, engaging pieces for our blog, e-newsletter, and other communications
- Draft other blog posts and writing projects as assigned
- Learn a new publishing platform and translate the new report into an engaging microsite
- Assist with refresh of Horizons’ website and other web projects
- Photo archive
- Develop and implement system for organizing and tagging our digital library of photos
- Other communications projects as assigned
- Writing experience, whether through a school newspaper or publication or another internship
- Critical thinking skills
- Design skills are a plus
- WordPress and HTML/CSS skills are a plus
- Comfort with/interest in working remotely
- Self-directed and capable of working independently
- Attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- Commitment to the LGBTQ community
The intern will be paid at $15.00/hour, limited to 40 hours/week. This is a non-exempt temporary position without benefits.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to Curtis Lahaie ([email protected]). Please include “Remote Communications Intern” in the subject line of your email and submit your cover letter and resume as separate attachments with the file naming convention Last Name, First Name – Document Type ex: Smith, Joan – Resume).
Applications will be accepted until the ideal candidate is identified. Early submissions are encouraged and will be reviewed as they are submitted. No phone calls, please.
Horizons Foundation is deeply committed to diversity and invites all qualified people to apply. Horizons strongly encourages applications from people who identify as transgender, people of color, and people with disabilities.